One of the most common orthopedic pathologies is valgus deformity of the foot. It is diagnosed in people of different ages, and most often women suffer from pathology after 35-40 years of age.
The treatment is determined by the orthopedic surgeon based on the results of preliminary examination and consultation and consists in the use of orthopedic insoles and shoes, regular physical therapy exercises, and massage sessions. In the most severe cases, patients may be given surgery.
What is valgus deformity of the foot?
Valgus deformity of the foot is a disease that leads to the curvature of the metatarsophalangeal joint of the big toe.
A so-called bone or bump is formed next to the thumb. At first, it does not hurt, but simply interferes with walking. A person has to choose softer shoes for himself, because otherwise he will have discomfort every time.
In the later stages of the development of the disease, aching pain often occurs, and after the thumb, the others are bent.
The main ones are:
- Education “bumps” at the base of the thumb. She sticks out of the shoes, interferes with walking, strongly striking the eye.
- Splaying forefoot.
- Fatigue of the legs.
- The curvature of the first finger, which leads to the fact that he “leans” in the direction of the others.
- The aching pain at the site of injury, which increases while wearing close shoes, after standing for long periods of time, etc.
- Swelling of the affected joint or reddening of the skin at the site of development of the pathology.
- Curvature after the big and other toes (it is a hammer-shaped deformation).
- Difficulties in choosing shoes.
Depending on the cause, valgus deformity can relate to one of several types.
- Static. In this case, the pathology is caused by spinal curvature, which leads to flatness of the foot and the formation of a hard callus on the sole. The degree of deviation of the big fingers during static deformation directly depends on the nature of flattening. This is a classic version of the development of pathology, implying physiotherapy or surgical treatment.
- Paralytic. This is a progressive pathology caused by insulin suppression paralysis due to the patient having suffered from such serious diseases as polio, encephalitis, etc. Both adults and children can suffer from it. Moreover, the rate of development of the pathology is directly dependent on the patient’s body weight. The only solution to the problem is surgical treatment.
- Structural. Pathology is diagnosed in childhood, as it is caused by intrauterine development of the bones. With the vertical position of the talus, pathology can be noticed even in the first months of the baby’s life.
- Rahitic. This is an acquired valgus deformity of the foot, which is also diagnosed in childhood. Due to a lack of vitamin D and a violation of mineral metabolism, a child may develop a disease such as rickets. It weakens the musculoskeletal and bone apparatus, which leads to the deformation of the foot. To solve this problem, it is necessary first of all to fill the lack of vitamin D in the children’s body.
- Traumatic. If a person has received such a severe injury, such as a fracture of the foot bones, ligament ligament, joint damage, then he can develop valgus deformity. This can be prevented only if timely professional treatment is received.
- Spastic. This type of pathology is diagnosed in people suffering from extensor muscle spasms, the occurrence of which is due to impaired functioning of the cerebral cortex. The problem can be solved only by eliminating the root cause of its occurrence.
- Compensatory. Prerequisites for the occurrence of the considered pathology are: shortening of the Achilles tendon, oblique ankle joint, torsion of the tibia. The physical therapy, massage, the correct choice of orthopedic shoes help to solve the problem.
The muscles and ligaments are weaker, and an increased load is created on the legs. Wearing tight fashionable shoes, many women provoke the development of the disease. Moreover, high heels and inconvenient lifting only aggravate the situation.
The main criteria for women’s shoes with valgus foot deformity
Surgical treatment of pathology is applied only as a last resort – when the patient’s condition interferes with his normal working capacity, and other methods do not help to solve the problem.
If the valgus deformity is expressed slightly, physical therapy, massage, comfortable and high-quality shoes can help a person.
And the following important requirements are placed on footwear:
- It should be new, purchased specifically for the person who will wear it.
- The patient must choose shoes exactly according to size. Too big shoes, boots or boots to wear as harmful as too close.
- Shoes must be made of high quality material. The ideal option would be genuine leather or suede.
- Hard backdrop allows you to fix the foot in a comfortable position, preventing further deformation of the joint.
- Rear shoe should be not only tough, but also quite high. This will give you stability.
- Shoes should be made on a small heel or wedge. Its ideal height is 4–5 cm. This shape of the sole will prevent the development of transverse flatfoot.
- Models should provide for the possibility of regulating the internal volume of products. This will allow the patient to feel comfortable, regardless of the specifics of the development of pathology.
- Shoes should be comfortable, practical, have a small weight.
How to choose?
If you suffer from this disease, go very responsibly to the choice of each pair of shoes.
When buying, be sure to consider the following parameters:
- Back height (it should end at 3 cm above the heel), as well as the presence of the insole instep. They will help to firmly fix the foot, remove some of the load from the muscles and ligaments, prevent the development of flatfoot.
- The softness of products. To make the leg comfortable, and the “bone” does not crush, give preference to practical soft shoes.
- Air permeability of products. Only in the event that the foot “breathes”, it will be convenient for you to wear such shoes.
- The shape of the nose. From narrow boats and shoes with a sharp nose will have to be abandoned. Squeezing the foot, they only exacerbate the problem. Therefore, you should choose for themselves shoes with wide noses.
- Resilience. No need to buy shoes that make you feel uncomfortable. If the leg is turned while walking, it will negatively affect the condition of the muscles, ligaments and joints.
- Practical heel shape. Give up high heels that deform the foot. The ideal height for you is about 4 cm. Moreover, the heel should be wide and reliable.
- The ability to maintain transverse and longitudinal arch of the foot. Only such shoes will protect you from aggravating the problem of flatfoot.
- Convenience of operation. It is important that shoes give comfort not only to the feet, but also to the whole body. Give preference to models that minimize the load on the spine and evenly distribute it between the joints, muscles, tendons.
Quality orthopedic shoes that can be worn for people suffering from valgus deformity of the foot are made by many companies.
Special attention of consumers deserve:
This European brand offers customers a wide range of products for the prevention and treatment of flatfoot, as well as deformity of the feet. The company produces men’s, women’s and children’s shoes, which not only perfectly worn, but also looks very attractive.
The manufacturer specializes in the manufacture of shoes designed for unloading the front arch of the foot. The company has been working on the market for more than ten years, constantly improving the quality of its products through the introduction of new developments in the field of orthopedics.
Comfortable and elegant orthopedic shoes and offers this brand. Products created by the manufacturer, are equipped with original 5-phase insoles and provide the ability to adjust the volume.
The manufacturer offers a large footwear, characterized by impeccable quality and made from natural materials. Each model of the brand looks restrained, but beautiful and elegant.
Summarizing, we can conclude that the valgus deformity is quite a serious and widespread pathology. It can develop against the background of various diseases, it can be congenital or acquired.
In severe cases, the surgical method is used to solve the problem, but more often the patient can give himself comfort and improve the quality of life by visiting the orthopedist in time and taking care of the correct choice of footwear.